Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Current Oil Market is Very Bad for Russia

The oil market drop is not good for Russia – no question about that – and it’s making the ruble go down. But, no, I see this as an opportunity. Unfortunately, I’m not very good at timing, so I don’t know when the opportunity will be.
Oil prices are not gonna stay down forever, I suspect. And Russia will rebound with oil or when they get their own act together. I mean, they’ll have to – if oil stays down at $60, they’ll have to get their act together and reorganize. But they’ve got enough resources. It’s a vastly, vastly rich country as far as resources are concerned. And it’s a very, very cheap market. I think it’s selling at half of book value right now. That’s not an expensive market.

It’s perhaps the most hated market in the world except for Argentina, I guess. And – well, not even that. Argentina’s not as hated, ’cause people are trying to raise money to invest in Argentina. So I guess Russia must be the most hated market in the world, which normally is an opportunity, Bob – normally. I mean, I emphasize normally. Who knows where the bottom is? I don’t.


- Jim Rogers via Investing.com